Monday, March 14, 2011

Jon Macy

This week's feature is as endowed artistically as he his with the gift of writing. 
I'm gonna admit, I wasn't familiar with Jon Macy prior to researching Northwest Press' creative line up.   I'm a little embarrassed to share that, because the man has been in this game for good minute. His folio includes everything from comics with Eros/Fantagraphics to the anthologies of Meatmen and Gay Comix to say the least. On top of decades of experience, he offers a unique style with fantastic stories from the heart. 
It is an honor to share a Jon Macy JezzLoad with you. :D





JON MACY: An Insight

What are you doing when you're not drawing or writing?
"Ha! That is a trick question to ask a cartoonist."

How old were you when you came out?
"I came out at 18, but went back in for a few years and then out again at 24.
It was the 80's and everyone was gay at some point."

If you could have dinner with 3 dead people, who would they be?
"Easy - Djuna Barnes, Oscar Wilde, and any of the early US Presidents"

Do you have any other talents outside of drawing and writting?
"No. I'm like those Russian speed skaters who only have muscles in one part of their body. I was designed to do only this - Comics."

If you had to replace your artistic talent with another one, what would it be?
"It would be music. I really enjoy it and part of the reason is that it is so mysterious to a visual person like myself."

Favorite guilty pleasure:
"Star Trek. 
(Please don't tell anyone what a geek I am.)"

How would you like to die?
"Naked in a fur coat laying in the snow watching the clouds pass over."





JON MACY: Art & Comics

Which do you have more fun with; writing or drawing?
"The drawing."

Which part of drawing do you like the least?
"Erasing the pencil after I have finished the inks.
Tedious.
I need a sexy young assistant to do that for me naked."

Who were/are some of the biggest influences on your artistic style?

Do you have a favorite genre to write in?
"Magical realism."

How do you get over blocks in creativity?
"Sex, Booze, and Rock&Roll."

What projects are you currently working on?
"My werewlof/druid gay romance and my next project is The Sebaceous Funk, a futuristic story about a cult of Charles Mingus."

You have a new book out, "Fearful Hunter." Tell us a little bit about it.
"It's a sweet, not very heroic, love story about a young druid. On the eve of his initiation, he meets a troubled young werewolf and they fall in love. It is a fictionalized version of my relationship with a mentally ill boyfriend."
 



 JON MACY: Sex

Top or Bottom:
"Top"

What would be the circumstances for you to flip?
"They would have to be taller, bigger, older, richer, and with a bigger dick.
So, you see my options are rather limited."

Sexiest thing a man can wear:
"A jockstrap made out of my saliva."

How often do you beat off?
"I once had an editor ask me, 'What are these little hash marks in the corner of your page?' and I told him it was the number of times I jacked off while drawing that page - got some interesting fan mail after that."

Biggest Turn-On:
"It would have to be the butt. I like the butt."

Biggest Turn-Off:
"People who can't laugh during sex."

WHEN does size matter?
"When it's my size otherwise it doesn't matter at all."




Thank you very much, Jon Macy.
I'm sure you'll get some more interesting fan mails after sharing your goods with us.

Jon Macy, Everybody!

If any of you would like his new book autographed, you can catch him at any of these comic conventions: Wonder Con, Comic Con, APE, and the "best of them all" - BENT-Con.
And any of you who are interested in the "Naked-Eraser" position, apply here.

Next week, I complete our NWP Threesome with an interview with THE Justin Hall and trust me when I say he bares all. 
Until then, make it a great week everyone.
- Jezza

5 comments: