Sunday, December 30, 2012

Jeff Krell

     


     Jayson is the original "gay Archie character." Drawn in a style very reminiscent of Dan DeCarlo,  Jayson debuted in 1983 on the pages of "Philidelphia Gay News." Jayson later became one of the cornerstones of the gay comics compilation series, "MeatMen," featured in nearly 20 volumes. Jayson was nationally syndicated in 1990 and today continues to entertain us with new adventures in every day life. 
I had the privilege of meeting Jayson's creator, Jeff Krell,  at this year's Bent-Con. Jeff would probably disagree, but Jeff is the living embodiment of Jayson. After meeting him and now having interviewed him, I feel that way even more so. You don't have to take my word on it, read his Q&A and let me know what you think.



JEFF KRELL: An Insight

Favorite Guilty Pleasure: 
"All forms of pleasure make me feel guilty."

How old were you when you came out?
"19"

What scares you?
"L.A. drivers"

Do you have any other talets outside of art?
"I am freakishly organized. I write well. I am surprisingly handy with power tools."

If you had to replace your artistic talent with another one, what would it be?
"I wish I could act. I'm awed by great actors"

Which living person do you most admire?

If you could have dinner with 3 dead people, who would they be?
"Charles Schulz, Dan DeCarlo, and ... is Barry Manilow dead yet?"



JEFF KRELL: Art

What part of drawing comes easiest to you?
"Anything set in Jayson's living room."

What prompted you to start Jayson?
"I always wanted to do humor comics but never saw myself represented in them."

I understand there is a big parallel between Jayson and yourself.
Where would you say are the differences?
"Jayson often says things I only think. Jayson has aged 3 years to my 30."

What's in the future for Jayson?
"More Jayson graphic novels. 
Hopefully a TV show."

Is there anything you don't like to draw?
"Crowd scenes"

Do you have a routine? What is your process when you create a piece?
"Idea, script, art. I outline an entire book at once, but sometimes I write the chapters out of order. Sometimes the characters don't do what I want them to. They're usually right."

What wisdom will you share with artist hoping to follow in your footsteps?
"You know the expression, ' Do what you want and the money will come?' 
Don't believe it!"



JEFF KRELL: Sex

Top or Bottom?
"I consider myself a 'reluctant top'."

Favorite  position:
"One that allows me to drift right off to sleep"

What's your fetish?
"You'd have to date me to find out."

Spit or Swallow?
"Handjob"

Sadist or Masochist?
"Masochist. Why else would I be answering these questions?"

Most embarrassing sexual experience:
"Impossible to choose just one"

How big is "Too Big?"
"If it fits - It ships"


Thank you, Jeff!
It was great to meet you and very nice to get to know you a little. 

Jayson turns 30 in 2013! Catch up on his last three decades at www.ignite-ent.com.
Jeff Krell will be circuiting several conventions through out the year to include 
Emerald City Comic Con (Seattle), WonderCon (Anaheim), Comic Con San Diego, Bent-Con, and several more. So there will be plenty of opportunities to meet him and get your copies of Jayson autographed. 

Until next time folks - Enjoy the rest of your 2012.
- Jezza

No comments:

Post a Comment